Geography in Cornwall: Headed south for a change

I have a new job, as a lecturer in the Department of Geography at the University of Exeter on the Cornwall campus near Falmouth. So, far everyone is friendly, the sun is shining, the campus is beautiful and I am getting ready for my first lectures in Environmental Science and the first year fieldcourse to West Penwith.

Almost the very first thing I did after the removal van dropped off my things was to head in to Falmouth for Science in the Square with the College of Life and Environmental Sciences, showing folk volcanic rocks and helping them to build earthquake-proof buildings from spaghetti and marshmallows. So many people came. It was brilliant and I am already looking forward to next year.  I was delighted to hear about the pumice washed up on Swanpool beach and to give away some Hekla pumice as souvenirs. Brian Cameron, thank you very very much for the shake table, it is already getting well used.